Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bishop D'Arcy Of Fort Wayne-South Bend Issues Correction To Fr. Jenkins' Severely Flawed Justifications For Obama Commencement Invite

The text of Bishop D'Arcy's response can be found here, courtesy of the Fort Wayne-South Bend diocesan website.

I must say, I found this statement especially gratifying. I can understand why the Bishop's heart was heavy as he wrote this, but this is one of the finer examples of a pastoral correction I've come across recently. Kudos to His Excellency for faithfully carrying out his duty as a shepherd!

By the way, I thought it would be nice to mention the current headcounts for two petition drives related to this scandal. As of this posting, they are as follows:

Cardinal Newman Society petition (opposing Obama's invitation), of which I am a proud signatory: 331,125

"We Support Notre Dame" petition (supporting Obama's invitation), begun by Catholics United and its affiliates: 34,383


My brothers and sisters, continue to make your voices heard. If you haven't already, please sign the petition opposing the scandal perpetrated by the University of Notre Dame administration. And please continue to give your support to Notre Dame Response (whose efforts to meet with Fr. Jenkins in person to discuss their concerns have thus far been rejected). God bless!


In Jesus and Mary,
Gerald

No comments: