Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Remember When I Said That The Thought Of Obama Naming People To The Supreme Court Made Me Cringe?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Sonia Sotomayor, in a now infamous 2005 video in which she lets slip that she believes the judiciary serves to make law rather than interpret it:



As someone who is a native born Puerto Rican, let me tell you that this is not the kind of person I want representing Puerto Rican interests.

And for all the leftists who will inevitably scream "racism!" to blunt the well deserved wave of criticism soon to be directed at Sotomayor, I wish to remind of the sorry episode that was the Democrat filibuster of Miguel Estrada, during which one Democrat made the blatantly racist comment that the Honduran-born legal emigrant was, due to his conservative ideology, not Hispanic enough to warrant Hispanic support.

As a Hispanic, I also resent Sotomayor's comment: "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life." This, too, is blatant racism. I have known many, many Latina women; and I have known many, many white males. And the truly wise ones in either category acknowledge that neither ethnicity nor personal experience have bearing on the truth or on the rule of law. Sotomayor could learn from their very meritorious example.

There is more - much more - to come out in the coming days, weeks, and months about this left-wing judicial activist. For now, I leave you with some thoughts from Michele Malkin about some of Sotomayor's more disturbing judicial decisions, and a warning to let neither the imminent media love-fest of Sonia Sotomayor nor the white washing of her judicial record blind you to the reality of this woman's extreme activism. God bless!


In Jesus and Mary,
Gerald

No comments: