Monday, December 15, 2008

Some Meaningful Dates

Before these last 7 days pass us by, I'd like to just acknowledge some dates that have special significance for me that have occurred during this recent stretch.

December 8, of course, was the feast of the Immaculate Conception, one of the central feast days honoring Our Lady. It seems fitting that there is such a focus on Our Lady during the Advent season, and that the two big feast days honoring her - to say nothing of the one big upcoming feast day honoring Our Lord - focus on the sanctity of life from the moment of conception.

December 12 is twice blessed in my family, both as the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe - patroness of the Americas, patroness of the unborn, and the single biggest reason why Latin America is predominantly Catholic (and has not completely succumbed to the intellectually and spiritually corrosive effects of liberation theology). This past December 12 also marked the 5th birthday of the younger of my precious little nieces, who was fittingly baptized Jessenia Guadalupe Lamb.

December 14 carries a more somber note. My father, who died of complications stemming from a 19 year bout with multiple sclerosis during my senior year of high school, would have been 61 years old yesterday. I continue to offer up prayers for the repose of his soul, and would welcome any prayers you can find your way to offering up on his behalf.

Today, December 15, marks the 10th birthday of my oldest niece, Jessica Marie Lamb. She is something of a miracle child, as a stroke suffered at birth due to labor complications has thankfully not resulted in any lasting ill effects. She was also named under circumstances that...Richard, let's just say that I have NOT forgotten! :-) (You can see a photo of my nieces, along with my brother, by clicking here).

Well, that's all for now. Just wanted to mark those dates before too much time had passed. Look for my meditation on the Second Joyful Mystery in the coming days. God bless!


In Jesus and Mary,
Gerald

1 comment:

Richard Lamb said...

Hey I liked the name O.K.,,,,;-)